The English romantic comedy novel WILDISH
Epic 18th-century romance full of fun, adult humour and adventure
Poet and Master Wig-Maker to the great and the good of London society, Wildish is a man whose ambition is to enjoy life to the full. Yet already events beyond his control have begun to impinge upon his dissolute life. The heart of the nation is beating to the drums of war, and thousands of vengeful Jacobite soldiers from Scotland and France are about to converge upon the capital.
There is also the presence of Johanna: mysterious, enigmatic and vulnerable, a woman unlike any other he has ever known, and the inconvenient and yet increasingly agreeable sensation that he might be falling in love for the very first time.
A magical journey into the outrageous, libidinous world of Georgian England where reality and fantasy, romance and the occult combine in a comedy of epic intensity and poetic beauty.
“Perfectly balanced with intrigue, humor, excitement and mystery … a personal quest for discovering love, not just any love, but love that transcends reality.”
Charla Wilson, Book Talk with Charla
“With witty repartee, delicious and sumptuous characters, vivid and palpable surroundings. Parry conquers and rocks this style of writing, with no other coming close to his ability to extract and communicate to readers, a world very unlike our own, so absolutely flawlessly. Epic.”
Claudia Robinson, Luxury Reading
ISBN-10: 1499347359 Paperback: 598 pages en-gb
eBook available on Kindle, Nook and iTunes
For a review of the book by historian and author Kirsty Stonell Walker, click here (External link opens in a new window).
“If you’re looking for an involved, yet humorous read, with a bit of adventure and eccentricity mixed in, this novel will satisfy. I really enjoyed it!”
Arleigh Johnson, historical-fiction.com
“The story covers friendship, sex, the love one has for one’s country, family love and true love … Would I recommend it? Yes indeed!”
Claire Ridgway, history blogger and author
“Wildish is a big novel that goes by in a heartbeat … filled with lust, bravery, honour, hope and as many different kinds of love as there are colours in the rainbow.”
Kirsty Stonell Walker, author and biographer
A collage of scenes and personalities from the novel
● An epic romantic comedy set in the fabulous, outrageous world of 18th-century Georgian London.
● A love triangle incorporating themes of romantic, sexual and platonic love.
● Strong characterisation, particularly female characters who inadvertently guide the hero, Mr Wildish, upon his quest to understand the nature of love in all its forms.
● Magical realism and bawdy adult humour blend with authentic historical events including the 1745 Jacobite rebellion in Scotland.
● Affluent, aristocratic country living contrasts with a background of London coaching-inn life and coffee-house culture - plus additional settings of Ranelagh Pleasure Gardens and London’s Cheapside.
● Additional topics of poetry, masquerades, costume, carnival masks, wig making, the occult and prostitution combine with acts of bravery, heroism and compassion.
● English Lords, and Ladies, and cameo appearances by George II, Bonnie Prince Charlie and others.
Where to Buy ...